Book Review: Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
What a fun romp of a book! I read this in one sitting, because it moves so very very fast. This book reads like a tight, procedural detective TV show.
What I liked:
-the friendship between Holmes and Watson
-so very very action packed!
-a wonderful array of tropes from Sherlockiana that we Sherlock nerds know, want and love.
-references to Doyle. Quotes even.
What I did not like so much:
-I don’t know about the combination between Sherlock Holmes and supernatural forces. I mean,
Estleman did a good job as far as it goes–I will say he keeps Holmes totally in character
throughout, and does seem to have done his research.
-references to Doyle. Quotes even. It’s in the so close to a quote thing that I find it a touch
grating. The dialogue after the boat chase scene is nearly verbatim from The Empty House.
Why this irked me when the references of Moffatt, Gatiss, and Adams made me squee, I’m
not sure. Actually, I need to re-read it and get back to you on that.
Bottom line: highly recommended.
- Sage Escape: Equinox (part 3)
- Book/Game Review: Thief 4
- Sage Escape: Equinox (part 2)
- Book Review: the Very Best of Kate Elliott
- Comic Review: A Tale of Sand
- Comics Review X2: Edgar Allan Poe and Springheeled Jack
- Graphic Novel Review: Seconds
- Book Review: A Dance in Blood Velvet
- Comics Review: Crime Does Not Pay vol.8
- Comic Review: Steed and Mrs. Peel #3